Sunday, June 21, 2009

Reconnected

It took a few days and a special visit of a tech guy here at American University, but I am finally connected to the world again through the internet.


My short tenure here in Washington has certainly been something to remember. I started out in DC battling four bags of luggage and trying to figure out the cheapest method of moving from the BWI Airport to Tenleytown where I am staying. Luckily, I found a UAB Dental School Alumni who made the trip much easier by helping me with a few cumbersome bags. He also was kind enough to navigate me to the metro station where I took a cab into the city.

I quickly discovered that people here are not as inclined to conversation as they are in the South, but instead of making the adjustment, I continue to nag people in the metro by smiling and saying, "Hi, how are you?"

Certainly, the southern accent has been detectable. I have been asked such questions as, "Do you guys still use dial-up internet down there?" To which I responded, "No, I don't reckon so. What's the internet?"

My internship starts today, so I will actually have to work now instead of go sightseeing. I'm really looking forward to the opportunity to work on Capitol Hill at such a momentous time.

No comments:

Post a Comment