Monday, June 22, 2009

John and Dot Lynch

Thursday night, I went to Uno Chicago Grill to watch the College World Series-- by myself. I had no idea that I would barely even get to watch another pitch when I lively couple sat down next to me at the bar.



At upwards of 80 years old, they have lived a full life. Hailing from Bethesda, Maryland, John and Dot Lynch made for one of the best impromptu dinner conversations I have ever had. John Lynch was a CPA who graduated from the University of Maryland in 1946. As soon as I told him I was an Accounting major, his eyes lit up and I barely got another word in.



Mr. Lynch has taken full advantage of the opportunities the CPA designation had given him. He practiced in Spain for 17 years, China for three years and all over Europe for seven years. He was full of advice and a strong advocate for the accounting profession. His passion for his duty as an accountant was clear and sincere. In fact, he loved work so much that he came back out of retirement because he said his whole life was out of order without it. When Dot said she didn't understand why he couldn't stop work, which he is still doing, I said that Brett Favre could certainly sympathize.

Our conversation ranged from everything to politics, culture and sports, but it kept returning to business. I asked him whether he believed there should be more or less regulation in the accounting industry which has long been a subject of debate. He put his fork down and looked me in the eyes to say, "It hurts my heart and it's against my politics but I believe there should be more regulation." He went on to explain that he wished it were different but that his experience and recent history indicated we were a dishonest people who needed strict supervision. Mr. Lynch said, "I'm by no means a 'lefty', I mean, I'm righter than Franco!" (Franco was a strict conservative dictator while the Lynch's were in Spain. I laughed at the joke but had to look up its meaning later) "But what this country needs is accountability in the worst way."

The Lynch's have seen alot. In fact, they felt obligated to apologize on behalf of their generation for leaving me and the rest of my generation to such a mess. Dot spoke of a book she read that said America could be on the brink of disaster. The book noted that all great civilizations in history moved from bondage, to religious faith, to courage, to liberty, to complacency, to apathy, and then back to bondage. Her fear was that America was in between complacency and apathy. I told them I had a great deal of respect for their generation and the courage they showed through World War II. I said it was my prayer that enough people my age would have this same conversation with their grandparents or other "Lynch's" so that we can be inspired to show them same patriotic courage and sense of responsibility.

Flattering me, they said if there was more people like me in Alabama, there may be still be hope!

The Lynch's will leave behind them an incredible legacy. They've raised two sons who were each professors in business and have three grandchildren who are their life's true joy. I doubt I will ever see John and Dot Lynch again, but I will not soon forget them.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you already met some fantastic people up there. Wise, experienced individuals are the best conversationalists!

    ReplyDelete